Saturday, November 20, 2004

Etiquette.

Last week I went to see The Weakerthans, who are straight up one of my favorite bands. Everytime I see them I turn into a hyperactive 12-year-old on a sugar high. Or rather, I turn into a drunkass 27-year-old who doesn't give a shit about screaming lyrics into people's ears while spilling beer on their shoes. Admittedly, I am not the most charming person to stand next to at shows. I tend to see shows as intimate interactions between artist and fans where verbal exchanges are not only acceptable, they are practically mandatory. The people around me rarely seem to feel the same way.

The show was at Emo's in Austin which isn't a huge venue but can still pack a pretty good crowd. It was crowded, but totally manageable. You could move around without much of a problem, so I figured wiggling my way up front wouldn't be that big a deal. I went with my friend Kristen (COWP represent!) after bar hopping for a couple of hours, so I was straight drunk by the time my Canadian heroes took the stage, and I was fucking PUMPED. The band starts ripping into their first song and immediately people are jumping and dancing around and singing and throwing fists into the air. Anyway, I start dancing and singing and the chick in front of me (standing with her arms crossed) starts turning around to give me the stank eye because, I guess, I touched her or something. Now, I have been at shows where other people's antics have fucking pissed me off. I can't remember the last time that it actually happened, but I know that it has. So when I saw the girl in front of me wanting me to notice her shitty look, I readjusted so as not to touch her. Honestly, I was so happy at this point that her crappy glances could not have fazed my mood. The second song starts and I am arm and arm with Kristen telling her that I love the song (I think I said this every time the song changed) and she suggests getting closer to the stage. The crowd was sort of broken up and there was room in front of the shitty-look giver, so we swooped around her toward the more openly bouncy people near the stage (MY PEOPLE!!). As we are passing her, this girl literally claws at my shirt. I'm not exaggerating, I'm talking fingernails. What the fuck is that about? She had plenty of room in front of her. And she was standing there lock kneed with her arms crossed, so it's not like she needed the space. I asked her if she was fucking kidding me, to which she rolled her eyes and recrossed her arms, tucking her claws into her pits.

The thing is, once we were in front of her the people around us couldn't have cared less about getting bumped or hearing me hoot and holler. As far as they were concerned, we were best friends, many of them throwing their arms over my shoulder while we belted out lyrics into each other's faces and jumped around like idiots. It was fantastic; we laughed hysterically and often. We left the show exhausted and happy. And wasted. I didn't remember until the next day that along with all my new buddies I had made at least one enemy.

I can't pretend that I am faultless at shows; I've heard audio recordings of shows where I was in attendance. They are testaments of my not-quietness. But it's a fucking rock and roll show. Rock and roll isn't supposed to be totally courteous is it? Am I the asshole for being excited and excitable while watching a band that I frequently blast in my bedroom while I dance and sing into my hairbrush? I can't stand the unspoken code that exists at some shows where to appreciate a band you have act like some sort of music snob who doesn't like to shake booty once in awhile. Get over the fucking posturing already. And put your fucking claws away. The whole head-bobbing, shoe-gazing phenomenon as audience participation has its place (I guess), but I don't think we should accept it as the only option. Sometimes, we should just rock the fuck out.

3 Comments:

Blogger goshdurnit said...

I feel like the unspoken rule at shows I've been to is: moshers/dancers up front, shoegazers in back, arhythmic head-bobbers in the middle. Things get murky when you're at a show where there's fast AND slow music being played (should I continue to dance during "No Quarter"? If so, how?). Criticism of fellow show-goers' antics should take the form of post-show mocking behind the person's back rather than shirt-clawing.

1:53 AM  
Blogger tko said...

Yes, stratification of the rowdy, always a good idea. I'm short though, so sometimes I have to position myself above the crowd which may mean a spot not necessarily aligned with people of my level of rowdiness. This further pisses people off because if I'm above them my voice will carry further.
Here's a good example:
At an Iron&Wine show in Carrboro at GO!. Small venue with a stair case towards the back of the space but located central to the stage. I would always stand on the landing at shows because it was the best view and sound. Anyway, I'm there with my friend Mike, who is one of the least quiet people on earth. We're on the landing, giggling, drinking, heckling Sam Beam and his cronies between songs. BETWEEN SONGS. Right before the encore, this chick pulls herself up to us from the floor and says, "Would you mind being quiet during the encore, it's annoying." She said it snotty-style too, I do believe her approach could have made the difference. As it was however, Mike replies, without missing a beat, "Would you mind fucking off for the rest of your life?" It was the most sincere reaction I've ever seen. Seriously, this girl's show experience would have been different if she had just waited till after the show to talk shit, instead Mike probably ruined it for her, while Mike and I cry laughing everytime we think of it.

12:19 PM  
Blogger goshdurnit said...

After seeing yet another great Canadian band (is it time to move to Canada yet or what) last night, I'm totally convinced that, for better or worse, a concert experience is as much about the other people you're around as much as the music. So when the band is good, and the audience is in a receptive mood, then a great thing can happen - all the petty disagreements, shoving, tall-guy-infront-of-you, smoke-in-ya-face, etc is overcome by the emotion that everyone's sharing about the music (sounds cheesy, but it happens). I was in the back row, and there was a lot of moving, shoving, etc, but I think everyone was a bit nicer b/c we were at a kick-ass show. I'd forgotten how cool (and scary, perhaps?) it is when live music gets people to act and feel as one. It doesn't have to be complete hypnosis; it can just be subtle changes in people's behavior.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home