Thursday, August 19, 2004

The Aggression Question

Here's the scene: It is a beautiful Sunday afternoon here in Austin. I am laying in the sun, reading a book on the grass, after taking a dip in the the local spring. Perfect Sunday. It's pretty crowded at the springs, lots of good people watching (including a topless chick with nipple rings and a fucking red star tattooed ON HER FOREHEAD... no, I'm not kidding). As I am finishing a chapter, a fella decides on the spot of grass next to me, spreads out a towel, and heads for the water. I don't pay too much attention; it's a pretty good book. When this fella comes back to his towel, I notice something... he's totally hot. But not hot in that obnoxious I-bang-chicks-for-breakfast sort of way. Instead, he's healthy looking, nice face, excellent proportions, probably early thirties. Hot. As we are both laying there, alone, he gets a phone call. He is incredibly warm to the caller who is another guy (I know because he called him 'bro'). He makes small talk for a minute and then begins to describe where he is. As he is doing this, he looks in my exact direction and says, "Yep, it's looking pretty gorgeous out here today."

First of all, it was gorgeous out that day, and he may well have just been stating the obvious. If I, however, had gotten on the phone and proceeded to look his way and say something like, "Yeah, it's hot as shit out here, I'm all about it," I would completely accept him thinking that I was essentially referring to him. I won't try to say that I was looking "gorgeous," but I was half-naked and all wet (from swimming in the water, perverts) and we were all of two feet apart. I'm not saying he was hitting on me, but I'm not saying he wasn't hitting on me.

I felt I had two options: start talking this guy up and hope for the best, or sit tight and hope he starts talking me up. I continued to lay there, half reading my book, half straining my eyes to check him out, and what kept popping into my head was this question of aggression. I have always had a tendency to be (ahem) somewhat aggressive when it comes to pursuing men. Generally though, I become aggressive when I am sure that the targeted person is also attracted to me. Or when the targeted person is cornered and there is little chance of escape. It's definitely not that I prefer to be the aggressor, I just get tired of wondering, and I find the whole act of being coy rather boring. I am (almost) always flattered when a man approaches me in a not-cheesey way. But it truly doesn't happen too often. Not that I am belly-aching exactly, I am just stating the facts.

Anyway, back to being aggressive. I find that in certain aspects of my day to day life, being aggressive is an asset. I won't back down from an argument because a person is trying to be intimidating; I won't settle for less than I feel I deserve when it comes to work and academics; I initiate changes and activity in my life. Being aggressive helps me negotiate this world in a way that I accept. Being aggressive has also caused me to be labeled a hard-ass, a ball-breaker, and a macho, macho man. I don't know where I get my aggressive tendencies from, neither of my parents are particularly assertive, I never beat kids up on the playground (unless they started it), but it is definitely a quality that I can't be defined without. And it has always been something that (I know this is a generalization) I find unfeminine about myself. I am far, far, far away from ever being cast as dainty, but still, as a woman, I want to be feminine.

Of course, I do believe that the face of femininity is changing. But it is hard to shake the idea of my own face, in a determined effort to dive face first down the pants of the guy laying next to me on the grass, as being considerably unfeminine while in the midst of an aggressive pursuit. Do men like aggressive women? And if they do, do they consider such women to be particularly feminine? Does it even matter?

I continued to lay there, finishing my book, pondering this question of aggression. I am sure that I thought too much about it (when is that never the case?), but I decided against striking the conversation match. The hot fella next to me started for the water again, and convincing myself that I was getting too much sun, I packed my things and left.

In the end, with my femininity in tact, I feel like a fucking jackass. It's been three days since this happened, and I am still thinking about it. What a reward.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what book was it?

awesome first post... my new blog idol. f'reals.

-teej

11:29 AM  
Blogger tko said...

Fargo Rock City. Chuck Klosterman. A must read. Thanks for the support, buddy, I miss you something terrible.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Ruby Sinreich said...

I used to think that being feminine at all was sign of weakness and I avoided it all costs. I have mellowed considerably and very much gotten in touch with my feminine side for the first time. You still wouldn't guess it when you look at me - but I feel a little girly, and it feel comfortable. I'm still just as brave and bossy and strong as I ever was.

Anyway, I want to say that there are plenty of men who like strong women. And if that's the kind of woman you are, then that's the kind of partner you should be with. It doesn't really matter if it's good or right to be assertive. You ARE assertive, that's a good thing, and the right guy will think so too. It might not be what the majority of fellas are into, but the majority of fellas are not too sharp. (Evidence: G.W.Bush is in the White House.)

My $0.02,

10:51 PM  
Blogger tko said...

All donations are welcome.

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not think it is a question of being aggressive or not. You are fearless in ways. That is a quality I have always admired in you and try to emulate. It has always been there. You see something you want and you go for it. That is nothing to be ashamed of or feel less feminine about. Even when we were tiny, you would climb up on the high dive and jump right off. You are the only one that could convince me to try. So, I say "If you want to jump, don't let anyone shame you out of it; because you make me proud when you do."
~bea

6:28 PM  
Blogger tko said...

My ladies are always trying to make me cry. I love you for it.

Let me just say, I don't want to change. I accept the way that I am. I don't think it's a bad thing to be aggressive. Or assertive. Or forward. I certainly wouldn't pretend to be otherwise to garner the interest of some dude. The real issue is that being aggressive inevitably involves rejection on some front. Whether it is in a relationship or a job opportunity or a gang membership. People won't be interested just because I am. And I can speak from experience here, however much my friends (who are obligated to love me) disagree. You/I can't always get what you/I want.

And you know what? Fuck it. It's totally okay.

Being who you are is never going to be a hindrance to your life. It certainly couldn't be more of a hindrance than trying to be who you aren't. I should have talked to the guy at the damned springs. Lesson learned.

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home